Thursday, April 25, 2013

This isn't how I wanted it to end

Our family is supposed to depart St Petersburg, likely forever, in June.

But instead, Alex and I have to curtail. We thought we could medevac, but it is within the month before PCS and therefore we can't. When we leave in less than 2 weeks, we are not coming back.

We had plans for May, one of the best months in Piter. Alex was supposed to perform in one last school production, which would have been a goodbye for everyone as this is the last year of detsky sad and the kids all scatter to different schools next year. We were supposed to have time to revisit favorite places and share meals with friends. And try to eat up some of this load of food we accumulated.

Most of Russia will shut down May 1 and not reopen until after we're gone. People go away on vacation. Alex's last day with some friends may well be tomorrow. We're lucky that when faced with medical problems that nobody local can figure out, we have the opportunity to travel elsewhere. We are lucky that although we now have an odd, uncomfortable block of time in the USA without husband, son, or any more stuff than we can fit into 2 suitcases, we have plenty of options of where to go and what to do. We know that we're only cutting a month off the end. But this month was meant to be filled with goodbyes and will now, likely, be filled with a gaping silence.


Becky said...

Oh wow. I'm so sorry. i was really hoping you could medevac. I hope you are able to say the goodbyes you want to say and that they are able to help her once you get home. Thinking of you guys.

Nomads By Nature said...

Sending you thoughts of strength and peace. Goodbyes and changes are hard enough without a last minute rush thrown in. Hoping there are a lot more silver linings than clouds these next days and weeks.

Lynne said...

Thank you ladies so much for your comments. As hard as this is, I feel confident in where we are heading so I know it's the right decision.